I will give thanks to Thee, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made; Wonderful are Thy works, and my soul knows it very well. Psalm 139:14

Wednesday, April 1, 2015

Autism and Our Family...a Top 10 List



Top 10 Hardest Things About Autism In Our Family

1.  It is really hard to watch your child struggle with anything.

2.  Nathan is SO smart, and academics do NOT come easily to him.  He can tell me the story of why Christopher Columbus was arrested, and knows how to fix a drain in a sink, but can't read.

3.  The meltdowns.  Whoa, the meltdowns.  Sometimes we see them coming and sometimes we don't.  We've all cried from them.

4.  Our other children make a lot of sacrifices.

5.  Any kind of change in routine will bring about tons of questions and worry.

6.  Major anxiety.

7.  No balloons for any special occasions.  No fireworks.  Unexpected loud noises are bad.

8.  We often split up our family so Nathan doesn't have to go somewhere where there are lots of people, or things from #7.

9.  He. chews. on. everything.

10.  A cat or dog wanders into our yard and we have to deal with the aftermath for 6 months.  "Is that cat out there again?  Remember that time there was a cat in our yard?"








Top 10 Coolest Things About Autism In Our Family

1.  Nathan is without question the funniest person I know.

2.  He always says what he thinks.  You may not like it, but you'll know how he feels.

3.  We have a lot of routines that keep us all on task.  Five minute warnings have become a way of life.

4.  Our other two children are so patient and kind.  Nathan has prepared them well for life with all kinds of people.

5.  He is so loving.  Tonight when Marc tucked him in Nathan said, "Dad you make me feel so good inside."

6.  The people he has brought to our life through special education, therapy, etc have become treasured friends.

7.  Nathan loves unconditionally, and he loves everyone.  He sees peoples hearts, and nothing else.  He doesn't care what a person looks like on the outside. He only sees the good in them.

8.  We have all grown in our faith because we've had to lean on God more.  He has not let us down.

9.  Nathan's unique ability to hear something on TV or somewhere and apply it to another situation.  Hilarious.

10.  I believe more than ever in Psalm 139 
For you created my inmost being;
    you knit me together in my mother’s womb.
14 I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
    your works are wonderful,
    I know that full well.
15 My frame was not hidden from you
    when I was made in the secret place,
    when I was woven together in the depths of the earth.
16 Your eyes saw my unformed body;
    all the days ordained for me were written in your book
    before one of them came to be.

I know God created Nathan PERFECTLY, and I know He has a great purpose for him.  I can't wait to watch it unfold.

3 comments:

  1. Aw, Jen....so so sweet. And true. I read it out loud to Uncle Tom....and I'm sure you can hear him as he quietly said, "mm....yeah....that was good...."

    We love you so....ALL of you. And oh, how we miss you.

    ....with heaps of love from afar....

    Lisa ❤︎

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is beautifully written. What a blessing he is to all of us. :)

    Heather Hanson

    ReplyDelete
  3. I admire your patience, courage, strength and faith. You are an awesome family!

    ReplyDelete