I will give thanks to Thee, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made; Wonderful are Thy works, and my soul knows it very well. Psalm 139:14

Thursday, July 28, 2011

What a Week!

This has been a very big week for Calvin.  It's one of those weeks I feel like I can see him growing up before my very eyes!  So exciting!

He suddenly got it in his head that he wanted to ride a bike with no training wheels.  We have tried to get him to do this for a couple years, but he just wasn't ready.  This time he decided about 5 days before his cousin Will came that he had to learn to do it before Will got here.  On that last day he pulled the bike out of the garage and said, "Well, I guess today is my last chance to do this."  About 15 minutes later he came running into the house screaming, "MOM!  I did it!"  He sure did.


Now, a week later, it's like he's been riding for years.  He's so proud of himself.

This same week Calvin also learned to swim with no water wings.  I am a very laid back parent about things like this.  I knew he could probably swim if I really worked with him, but I felt better having him in the pool knowing he was safe, so I never pushed it.  One day this week though I just suggested that he try taking his wings off.  He stayed in the shallow end for about an hour, and the next thing I know he's all over the place.  By the next day he was throwing diving sticks and getting them off the bottom of the pool.  Crazy!  He's still plugging his nose sometimes, but we're working on that.


While I don't have a video to back this one up......he claims he also baited his own hook this week.  Something I'm quite happy about.  Now he doesn't have to bring me his pole to rebait every time a fish takes his worm.  This is a big step in a little boy's life.

I love my Calvin.  He's the oldest, and sometimes I feel like he gets neglected because his brother and sister are more needy right now and he is so easy.  I love it when he and I get to spend quality time together talking or playing or whatever.  God has given him such a big heart and such a great sense of humor.  He makes me laugh like crazy.  I feel so blessed to be his mom and to get to witness all these exciting milestones in his life!

No comments:

Post a Comment