I will give thanks to Thee, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made; Wonderful are Thy works, and my soul knows it very well. Psalm 139:14

Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Piano Man

Calvin has been taking piano for about a year and a half.  Tonight was his first recital and it was SO cute.  His teacher is this wonderful,  sweet woman named Kiki.  She was able to pull a few strings and have the recital in the recital hall of Bangsberg Fine Arts Complex at Bemidji State University.  Pretty Cool.  The kids played on a big grand piano in front of many seats....with only a few people in them.  Very cute.  Calvin probably had the most guests there.  Besides all of us, Papa was there and Grandma Lona, GG (great-grandma), and Grandma's friend Bonnie.

Here is Jillian on the way to the recital....all dressed up.


And here is my boy.  Playing like a REAL piano player.  He thought he was SO cool......we did too actually.

Calvin played two songs.  The Bells of Great Britain and The Piano Playing Skeleton.  I know I'm his mom, but I'm really impressed with the way he can play for a seven year old....who doesn't practice as much as he should.

Here is a little clip of him playing alone, and the second clip is him and Kiki.  They played together for part of the song.


I love the way when he's not using the pedals he sits with his feet crossed.  Makes me smile every time.

Here is Calvin receiving his certificate from Kiki and a group shot of all the piano kids, Kiki, and her daughter Katrina who often fills in for her.


What a fun night.  I gotta tell ya...even though the entire concert lasted about 15 minutes...the feeling of pride and accomplishment Calvin took away from it will last for a long time.  On the way home I tried to very discreetly make the point that while practicing is not always fun, it's worth it in moments like this.  He agreed.  Hooray!  It sure does feel good to watch your child try something...keep at it even when it's not fun, and enjoy it.  I really hope he continues.
Just because we were all there and looking half way decent...we decided to do a family picture, so I will leave you with that!

No comments:

Post a Comment