I will give thanks to Thee, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made; Wonderful are Thy works, and my soul knows it very well. Psalm 139:14

Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Calvin

Seven years ago today I became a mom.  I might go so far as to say it was the best day of my life.  From the time I was a little girl, all I ever wanted was to be a mommy.  I was 5 days over due, but on April 26th...one week before our one year anniversary, we were blessed with our little Calvin.

Try to ignore my hair in that family picture.  In case you're wondering....that's how a person looks when their water breaks at midnight and they labor all night...finally having a baby at 2:30 in the afternoon.  ANYWAY...I was so excited.  Calvin was 7 lbs 14 oz.  He was just perfect.  I remember saying to my mom, "I think he's the cutest baby I've ever seen.  Do you think I would still say that even if he wasn't mine?"  I was so in love.  Calvin was just the sweetest baby.  We had the best time hanging out together.  I remember he would wake up every day at like 5:00 to eat.  I would feed him and we would go back to sleep together.  Marc would leave for work and we would be snoozing away.  Ahhhh life when there is only one child.  As he grew up he was just cheerful.  He had and still has a contagious giggle.  You just can't help but join in when he's laughing.
Calvin is a typical first born child.  He is a rule follower.  He just doesn't understand why someone would deliberately break the rules.  He takes very good care of his brother and sister and very often talks to them like a parent.  Sounding just like me.  Just yesterday when Nathan was asking for cinnamon toast Calvin said, "Oh Nathan, when you ask nicely like that I can tell that you're 5.  You sure sound like a big boy."  Cracks me up.  And you'd think Nathan might want to punch him when he says things like that, but he doesn't.  He just eats it up.  When Marc and I are going out (which doesn't happen very often) and the kids are staying with a babysitter Jillian usually doesn't like it.  She will cry, but I just give her her blanket and ask if she wants to sit with Calvin until she's ready to play.  That works just fine for her.  He sits in the rocking chair holding her while she sucks her little thumb.  Eventually she decides she's okay and they all go play.  He is just so loving and patient.
Calvin is the perfect combination of silly and caring.  He has the biggest heart and is so sensitive.  But he also has the best dance moves and is very sarcastic.....which is weird...I don't know where he gets that.
Calvin has a genuine love for the Lord and reads his Bible faithfully.  Two weeks ago in church our pastor started to tell the story of the jars of oil.  Calvin got really excited and started nudging me, "Mom...this story is IN my bible!"  I said, "Wow...that's awesome...lets listen and see what he has to tell us about it."  A few minutes later he leaned over to me again and said, "I really wish kids could talk in that microphone up there."  After I asked why he said, "Because...I've got a lot of other really good stories I could tell these people about!"  I think he thinks he's the only one who knows those bible stories!  He's very passionate and I pray that continues to develop.

Here is Calvin on his first birthday and on Easter this year when we celebrated his 7th birthday with an Easter Bunny cake!

This little boy is just delightful.  I look forward to him coming home from school every day because I just like hanging out with him.  He is loving and funny and interesting and he loves to learn. I am so proud to be his Mommy.

One of Calvin's biggest loves is baseball, and especially the Minnesota Twins.  He and I are leaving for the cities tomorrow to go to a Twins game on Thursday.  We're going with Papa and Nana (my parents), my brother, and my nephew Will.  Will is 8, and is one of Calvin's favorite people in the world.  Needless to say, we are very excited.  Here he is opening one of his birthday presents today...a new...bigger Mauer shirt for this year.  We are hoping for a big win on Thursday.
Happy Birthday, Calvin.  We love you like crazy!

No comments:

Post a Comment